De Vries must wait for Alfa Romeo: 'We want to take a good look at that'

16-09-2021 08:32 | Updated: 16-09-2021 09:39
by GPblog.com
F1 News
De Vries must wait for Alfa Romeo: 'We want to take a good look at that'

Nyck de Vries would have already signed a contract with Alfa Romeo, but for the time being, there seems to be little truth in that. If we are to believe Frederic Vasseur it will be very difficult for De Vries to find a place in Formula 1.

De Vries didn't get a chance in F1 after his Formula 2 title in 2019, so he decided to take his chances in Formula E. In his second year for Mercedes, he won the world title there, and that immediately brought him back into the picture of several F1 teams. He was a candidate for Williams, but that team chose Alexander Albon.

Opportunity for De Vries

De Vries is still in the picture at Alfa Romeo, but the situation is not ideal for Nyck with his tyres at Mercedes. ''It's certainly not the most comfortable situation for Nyck,'' Vasseur, who is himself the team boss of Alfa Romeo which drives with engines from Ferrari, told Motorsport.com. However, Vasseur does know Nyck's qualities.

''Nyck has done a very good job in the step-up classes. Of course by winning the Formula 2 championship with ART and this year he has added a Formula E title. He also made a good impression on us last year in Abu Dhabi when he was allowed to step into an F1 car for the first time. I also know Nyck well personally as he drove for ART for several years.''

Vasseur waits for F2

For the time being, we can't expect a definitive answer, however, as Vasseur first wants to see how the Formula 2 championship will unfold in the coming races. It is reported that Vasseur is also looking at Guanyu Zhou, his own talent Theo Pourchaire and perhaps Oscar Piastri as possible options.

''We want to be able to take a good look at the step-up classes first. The first four weekends were a bit strange and messy, but during the upcoming weekends in Monza and Sochi, we should be able to get a good picture. After that, at the end of September, we will make a decision,'' Vasseur concludes.

Video player

More videos

  • Small
  • Big