Max Verstappen may be able to take part in the 24 Hours of the Nürburgring again next year after losing the 54th edition due to a technical issue. He and his teammates were in first place and cruising to victory until the driveshaft broke. It appears that F1 has nothing scheduled for May 27–30 next year. The organizers of the 24 Hours of the Nürburgring have already announced that the 55th edition of the race at the Green Hell will take place on the last weekend of May. Verstappen, Dani Juncadella, Jules Gounon, and Lucas Auer have unfinished business with the endurance race. Everything was going very smoothly. On Friday afternoon they secured fourth on the grid for the race, and within a few hours they had moved into the lead.
Verstappen drove a double stint during the night and handed the car over to Gounon, after which Auer took the morning stint. The plan was for Verstappen to drive the final stint again, but with three hours to go, the car was
pushed into the garage with a technical problem. It quickly became clear that they would be able to go back out for a few laps at the end of the race, but the win was definitively lost.
F1 and Nordschleife don’t seem to overlap
It’s clear that the four drivers would love to reunite next year to try again, but as Juncadella told GPblog, “everything has to align again,” referring mainly to Verstappen’s Formula 1 schedule. For now, however, it appears that in 2027 there will be no Formula 1 race scheduled for the weekend of May 27–30, allowing Verstappen Racing to prepare for a shot at redemption, De Telegraaf reports.
The organisers, the Eifel region, and the fans are undoubtedly hoping that’s the case and that Verstappen will once again be on the grid for the Eifel classic next year. The 24 Hours of the Nürburgring drew a record 280,000 visitors in 2025, a mark that was then easily shattered by Verstappen’s appearance. This past weekend, 352,000 people came to the Nürburgring to watch Verstappen race.
Photo: Red Bull Content Pool
Mercedes-AMG will be pleased
Not only the fans and the organizers will be happy—Mercedes-AMG will be too. The manufacturer from Affalterbach was more than proud that Verstappen Racing has entered into a long-term partnership, which could mean they can once again field multiple cars to fight for victory next year.
“Those 24 hours actually felt much longer than this,” says Sagemüller — Head of
Mercedes-AMG Motorsport — in conversation with
GPblog.
"We had various phases that were really intense and nerve -wracking. But of course, in the end, more than happy to be able to bring at least one car home and bring the victory back to Affalterbach. This is like an even more bitter pill to swallow than the three that weren't able to finish in the place they deserved. But yeah, I mean, that's racing. We know that this can always happen, but still, of course, it's like mixed feelings."
However,
GPblog understands that it is
not yet official that the Formula 1 calendar will remain clear that weekend, as the schedule has reportedly not been finalised. There is still a strong possibility the weekend will stay free, but nothing has been confirmed at this stage. This was also reported previously on this website.