The announced engine adjustments for the 2027 season that were recently revealed by the FIA may ultimately not happen after all. Only Mercedes and Red Bull want to push the plan through; the other manufacturers would prefer to wait until 2028. Formula 1, the FIA, and the teams are meeting in Canada this weekend to try to reach consensus after all.
After the Miami Grand Prix,
the FIA announced that there was, “in principle,” an agreement with the engine manufacturers to change the power split in the engines from 50/50 to 60/40. By slightly reducing the contribution of the battery, drivers should no longer have to back off during a lap to recharge the electrical component.
Disagreement among the manufacturers
According to The Race, the teams and manufacturers agree that this adjustment should be implemented; the disagreement is about when it should happen. Only Mercedes and Red Bull want to introduce the change as early as next year. In Formula 1, support from four of the six manufacturers (including future manufacturer Cadillac) is required to get a “go”; a threshold that is currently not being met.
The other manufacturers are said not to support the change, primarily due to two major objections. First, there’s the budget. Audi finds it very difficult to justify spending millions again on a new power unit after the Germans just did so for their entry into Formula 1. It’s whispered that modifying the engines would cost around ten million dollars.
Gabriel Bortoleto in the Audi - Photo: Race Pictures
However, this does not mean that Audi is against any change for next year, and sources cited by the website suggest the manufacturer is willing to accept small tweaks. But a shift to 60/40 is not seen as realistic.
ADUO system under pressure
Another issue for some manufacturers is the Additional Development and Upgrade Opportunities (ADUO). This allows manufacturers with a significant deficit to add updates to their engines during the season. But if higher fuel flow is also permitted in 2027, then ADUO would have to be scrapped now. Manufacturers believe that colleagues who can use ADUO would have a major advantage in developing the new engines.
It stands to reason that
Ferrari does not want to part with ADUO, as the Italians believe it will help them close the gap to Mercedes and perhaps Red Bull Ford. Without ADUO, that would be impossible in 2026.
Verstappen actually happy with the changes
In recent months, Max Verstappen has been one of the main critics of the current 50/50 engines.
On Thursday in Canada, the Dutchman said he was actually pleased that an adjustment is coming for 2027.
“As I said: it will improve the product and that makes me happier. And that’s what I need to want to continue in Formula 1,” Verstappen told, among others,
GPblog.
That was the strongest hint the four-time world champion has given so far about his future. “It's definitely heading into a very positive direction. I think it's the minimum I was hoping for, and I think it's really nice that that's what they want to do. You know, that's definitely what I think also the sport needs,” said Verstappen, who added a small caveat—possibly aware of how some teams felt about the situation.
Verstappen will be hoping the manufacturers can still reach an agreement. If they don’t, then his enjoyment will not increase, and there will undoubtedly be many more questions about his future in Formula 1.