F1 News

Alonso sides with Verstappen: 'I don't think it will be a penalty'

Alonso sides with Verstappen: 'I don't think it will be a penalty'

18-11-2021 19:05 Last update: 19:23
21 Comments

GPblog.com

The race weekend in Qatar has begun, but the Formula 1 world is still under the spell of the Brazilian Grand Prix. The stewards have not decided whether to reopen the case of the incident between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, and have postponed the decision until Friday. A bad thing, says two-time world champion Fernando Alonso.

Mercedes wants to have the case reopened in an attempt to snatch three points away from Verstappen. With onboard footage of the Red Bull car, the German racing team thinks it has new evidence that was not taken into account earlier in the assessment of the incident.

Alonso thinks FIA should leave the matter alone

However, Alonso believes that the FIA should leave the matter alone, whether a penalty would have been appropriate or not. "I haven't had the opportunity to look at the incident yet," he said in the press conference to, among others Crash.net.

"I will not have an opinion because it’s very different from time to time and I don’t know exactly what happened. I guess it will be an incident that is from the past race, so nothing should happen now. The stewards considered that it was no penalty there, so I guess it will not be a penalty now”, he concluded.

Video player

More videos