Masi has plan B: 'We'll hold qualifying on Sunday morning'

25-09-2021 10:21 | Updated: 25-09-2021 12:09
by GPblog.com
F1 News
Masi has plan B: 'We'll hold qualifying on Sunday morning'

The qualifying of the Russian Grand Prix might not take place on Saturday afternoon. Because of the heavy rain, it seems to be impossible for the moment to get the drivers on the track safely to get a good starting position for Sunday.

Race control already decided on Saturday morning to cancel the third free practice session. As was the case during the Belgian GP, ​​the track is still too wet to offer any form of safety to the riders. Race director Michael Masi therefore does not rule out qualifying until Sunday morning.

“The determining factor this afternoon [for qualifying] will be the light,” said Masi. Masi said on the official website of Formula 1. “Sunset locally is about 1815… but with weather conditions like this, obviously light diminishes far earlier, so that will ultimately be our cut-off point. If qualifying isn’t able to happen today, as we’ve seen a few times before in the past, then we will re-do a programme and hold qualifying on Sunday morning.”

Video player

More videos

  • Small
  • Big