Coronavirus: Carey is "firmly convinced" first three F1 races will run as planned

28-02-2020 18:12
by Matt Gretton
F1 News
Coronavirus: Carey is firmly convinced first three F1 races will run as planned

The growth of Coronavirus is causing a major disruption to human life. In Formula 1, it's no different as the Chinese Grand Prix was postponed earlier in February. As the virus continues to spread outside of China, there's now further concern that other Grands Prix will be cancelled. However, Chase Carey wants to exclude that scenario for the time being.

"Now that we are here in Barcelona on Friday, 28 February, I am firmly convinced that we can run the first three World Championship races as planned," he says in Barcelona to Speedweeek.com. 

"I am in close contact with the organizers in Australia, Bahrain and Vietnam and plan to fly to all of these countries, but again: the situation can change."

Dutch Grand Prix first?

If races in Australia, Bahrain and Vietnam are cancelled, then the first race of the season will be at Zandvoort. Although coronavirus is present in The Netherlands, the race organisers don't speculate how it affects their event. 

"Nothing has changed at the moment. And if that happens at some point, then we will communicate it. We do not want to speculate. We monitor the situation and constantly look at all the guidelines that we receive from RIVM and the government," A spokesperson for the Dutch Grand Prix told Motorsport.com. 

Read more about: Formula 1 Chase Carey

Check out the latest news

You will be logged out and redirected to the homepage