It's getting towards the crunch end of the season. While the mathematicians may be happy there are only two drivers in the equation, some fans will be disappointed the fight didn't go on longer. Silverstone, at the time, seemed to be a hint of what's to come for the remainder of the 2018 season, but Lewis Hamilton can wrap the title-up three races early. We take a look at all the permutations.
If the Brit does manage to win the title in Austin, we'd expect Valtteri Bottas to be given the upper hand in Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi.
Hamilton will win the 2018 World Championship if...
- Hamilton wins with Vettel finishing third or lower
- Hamilton finishes second with Vettel fifth or lower
- Hamilton finishes third with Vettel seventh or lower
- Hamilton finishes fourth with Vettel eighth or lower
- Hamilton finishes sixth with Vettel failing to score.
If Hamilton fails to finish inside the top six, or if Sebastian Vettel finishes second the battle will be renewed for another week at least.
The Mercedes driver has won five of the six races in Austin, with Vettel denying him just once in 2013.
Will Hamilton win the title this weekend at COTA? Let us know in the comments and on our poll!