Lewis Hamilton will miss the Sakhir Grand Prix now that it has become known that he has tested positive for the coronavirus. The Brit could theoretically compete again in the season finale in Abu Dhabi, but Perez also had to stay out action for longer. In any case, it is a big blow for Formula 1 and Mercedes.
Hamilton tests positive
The FIA, Formula 1 and Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team can today confirm that Lewis Hamilton tested positive for COVID-19 during the mandatory pre-race PCR tests for the Sakhir Grand Prix. In accordance with COVID-19 protocols and guidelines from Bahrain's public health authorities, he is now in isolation. All contacts have been investigated," the FIA â€‹â€‹said in the statement.
"The procedures established by the FIA and Formula 1 will ensure that this weekend's event does not have a greater impact," the FIA report said. Whether there are any more infections within Mercedes is not yet clear. Hamilton was in contact with several people during the weekend.
"Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing programme," Mercedes said.
"However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive. Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest. Lewis is now isolating in accordance with COVID-19 protocols and public health authority guidelines in Bahrain. Apart from mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well, and the entire team sends him its very best wishes for a swift recovery.
"We will announce our replacement driver plans for this weekend in due course."