F1 News

frederik vesti mercedes formula 2

Vesti leaving Formula 2? 'Hopefully Mercedes can help me with that'

2 September at 21:10
  • Ludo van Denderen

Frederik Vesti is in an exciting battle for the Formula 2 championship with Théo Pourchaire. With two main races and one sprint to go, the Dane has a seven-point deficit to make up on Pourchaire. Vesti will surely also be looking at his further future. His goal is clear, he tells GPblog and others.

It is not official, but the rumours are getting stronger and stronger: only 17-year-old Kimi Antonelli - a member of the Mercedes Junior Team - would race for Prema in Formula 2 next season alongside Oliver Bearman (18). That automatically means there is no longer a place for Vesti at the Italians - although the Dane would no longer be allowed to drive in Formula 2 anyway if he becomes champion.

Vesti wants to go to Formula 1

When asked, Vesti says that his initial focus is on trying to win the title in the junior series. Moreover, he will also be looking forward to his upcoming participation in the first free practice for the Mexican Grand Prix, when the 22-year-old will have the chance to race in an official session in Formula 1 for the first time as a rookie in the Mercedes. Incidentally, the Dane drove the Young Driver Test in Abu Dhabi last year on behalf of Mercedes.

But after that? "I don't know. I'm in F2 now, and my focus is to reach Formula 1. Hopefully, Mercedes can help me do that in the near future. I will push the maximum, on and off track, to achieve that," said Vesti, who won the sprint race in Monza on Saturday. Victor Martins was second behind him, ahead of Richard Verschoor.