F1 News

Williams a first: Regular driver sidelined during FP2

Williams a first: Regular driver sidelined during FP2

09-11-2022 15:25 Last update: 15:50

GPblog.com

Logan Sargeant hopes to be WIlliams' second driver next season. To do so, however, he must get the required number of points for a super licence. His team Williams will help with that as much as it can, so it seems on the eve of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

For participating in free practice, Sargeant gets points, provided he completes enough laps. In Mexico, the American was a lap short of claiming a point. In Brazil, he will get another chance. Since a sprint race will be held at Interlagos, it does require something never seen in F1 before.

Second practice

Normally, rookies do their laps during the first free practice. So after practice in Brazil, there is the sprint race, making this scenario impossible for Sargeant. Instead, he will step in the car during the second free practice, so after the sprint race. On Saturday morning, Alex Albon will hand over his seat to the rookie. This is done under parc ferme rules, so no further working on the Williams is allowed. According to the team, taking part in the session will still have huge value for Sargeant, according to a press release.

Sargeant himself is looking forward to another session in the car: "I’m looking forward to getting back in the FW44 for FP2 in São Paulo. I can’t wait to keep progressing with the team and building on the experience I gained in Austin and Mexico City. To be given the opportunity to drive at such an iconic track like Interlagos with its banked corners and the Senna S is a great feeling. A massive thank you once again to everyone at Williams for giving me another chance to get behind the wheel" Sargeant said.